Friday, December 2, 2011

Not harness related- my letter to Governor Kasich

It's my blog, so I can.

December 2, 2011

Governor Kasich:

As you and the state legislature work on the proposed and sorely needed Ohio exotic animal legislation, HB 352, I hope you will look at a number of issues with the proposal as it is currently structured. I specifically ask you to look at the regulation as it refers to reptiles.

I have been a herpetology educator for thirty years, lecturing at colleges, libraries and community events. It is my primary income. I carry a $1,000,000 liability policy and have never had a claim. My program has been seen by tens of thousands of people, has won national awards and numerous local nature centers refer those with unwanted animals to me as a reptile adoption agency, which is currently not regulated by the state. I take my responsibility as a herpetoculturist seriously. But the proposed legislation would either force me out of business or force me out of the state.

I support a licensing process, similar to the one that currently exists for native reptiles; inspections (with advance notice); and insurance/bonding requirements. Some form of exemption should be allowed for legitimate educational presenters which do not other qualify as American Zoological Association membership or as members of any of the museum association which exist. In Cleveland alone, there are nearly a dozen animal educators who will be put out of business without this exemption. While this may affect fewer than fifty presenters statewide, it will affect thousands of schoolchildren who will be denied unique educational opportunities with these animals.

Another issue with the legislation is its overly broad definitions. For instance, in declaring constricting snakes banned, the Bill bans numerous safe colubrid snakes (ratsnakes and kingsnakes) {Section 1(E)(e) }although the media continues to report that it bans Boa Constrictors and Pythons( (0ver 95% of which are actually bred in captivity, many right here being bred safely in Ohio, aiding the economy). If we are we actually banning boa constrictors and pythons, which ones? The common boa (Boa c. constrictor) or the totally harmless 18” rubber boa (Charina bottae) and the two foot long sand boa (Eryx ssp)? There are over twenty species of boa constrictor and only two grow over six feet long, a length that might be considered potentially dangerous. And those two are far less likely to cause injury than most “domesticated” dog breeds. Looking at the pythons. Python regius, the ball python, is probably the second most popular snake in the pet trade. At a typical maximum size of four feet, it is not a dangerous. While my preference is that reptiles be removed from this legislation entirely, I am sure there is room for a common-senes compromise.

There are other problems with this legislation regarding the time frame for disposal of exotic animals (are you really asking me to kill animals that are still in my possession ion January 2014?) and the fact that several of its proposals contravene Federal Law, although that does not affect me directly at this time. But they must be looked at in a broad context in order to avoid possible court challenges and get a workable law in place as soon as possible.

While action must be taken to avoid another Zanesville-like tragedy, I urge common sense and a workable solution, instead of a knee-jerk reaction that will limit the educational use of these animals, hurting Ohio’s economy and preventing children and the public easy (and controlled access to these animals for educational use. I can only hope reason will prevail.

I have been licensed in over 25 jurisdictions over the years and would be happy to provide additional input as you make your decision.

Thank you.

Keith Gisser, Presenting Herpetologist
HERPS ALIVE! The Interactive Reptile and Amphibian Experience

1 comment:

iamironman said...

Good luck, Keith...asking Kasich for common sense seems it's going against the grain, but let's hope this will be an exceptional situation.