Saturday, August 27, 2011

Was It Over When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor?

A special edition for you animal house fans. (To-ga, To-ga). Column aside- If Jason Settlemoir was at that party, would they have chanted Ti-O-ga, Ti-O-ga? Some of you are probably tuning in to find my Wednesday, September 1 picks. They will not be posted. Unfortunately, Northfield Park and I have parted ways from the contract position I was filling for them. Ayers Ratliff will be doing daily picks for the program and will be doing the media releases I had been doing (although they will not be called Keeping Pace). I am not sure if he will be posting on-line. A final Keeping Pace issued Monday August 29 ends 19 years of that franchise... first as an award-winning radio show, then as a column in the late, lamented Penn-Ohio Racing Report, then as Northfield's (usually) weekly release. But KP is really going into hibernation, not ending. Could a podcast be in the works? It is if I can find a sponsor.

Northfield provided me with a media platform for an additional six months past my termination which I greatly appreciate. It helped keep me in the public eye, which helped me gain my contract to work with HHYF and has kept me in touch with other industry sources, and it also provided some base-level income at a time of uncertainty. While I wish the outcome of the last several months was different, I do appreciate it and have told Tom Aldrich just that. He has told me that I am in line to do some back-up announcing and that we will "talk when slots are finalized."

Short term, I will probably update this blog a couple times a week, either with hot picks that I see (Northfield or elsewhere) or to comment on the state of the industry.

And, on Saturday, September 10, I will be at Scioto Downs for Ohio Super Night, doing winners circle interviews. (No tux.. I have been told that would make my buddy Dean Hoffman look bad...by Dean himself). So stop by at ScD in two weeks and we'll have a smoke and talk racing.

I have enjoyed doing these picks daily for the last few years. Now, perhaps, I can really get cracking on the two books I have started but progressed slowly on, and of course my HHYF duties continue to expand as I learn more about that fantastic organization. Oh and there is high school soccer season, where I have returned to the field as a referee and continue to coach the highly-rated Orange Lady Lions. So it's not like I will be walking the streets looking for aluminum cans. Unless their filled with Diet Dr Pepper.

Drop me an e-mail if you want, at klgisser@earthlink.net. I won't even quote Seneca (or the band semisonic) in this post. To all who read this regularly, keep checking in now and then. Be well and make sure you Enjoy Every Sandwich!

-Giss-

No comments: