Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Joyous Holiday Season (and, just maybe,Merry Christmas)

It is a sad commentary on the world when people waste so much energy arguing over how we should be greeting each other this time of year. Thousands of people are posting "I am a Christian" as their status on Facebook, urging everyone to use the greeting Merry Christmas and not Happy Holidays. I admit, I even got drawn into this battle at one point. It was a mistake. But in this forum I WILL address it.

I am Jewish. And I do not get offended by someone wishing me Merry Christmas. But it is not a salutation I will use very often. To my church-league volleyball teammates, yes. To the minister dad of one of my ex-soccer players, absolutely. But generally, the Happy Holidays greeting, when it comes from me, means a lot more than Merry Christmas. It means Merry Christmas. But more importantly, it means best wishes for a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year, which is just as important.

On the retail level, Happy Holidays may not be as sincere, but it is certainly better than "have a good one." As I said, I don't get offended by being wished Merry Christmas, but some Jews, and Muslims, and Agnostics, and Atheists and Wiccans and others, are offended by it. So there is nothing wrong with playing it safe. Heaven forbid that group starts a boycott of your business. That is territory reserved for "pseudo-Christians."

If you are a Christian, a true Christian, I wish you a Merry Christmas. But if you are one of the alleged Christians threatening to boycott Lowe's because they (inadvertently) advertised on the cable show American Muslim, then I wish you a lump of coal. And if you are one of the (apparent) Christians who runs Lowes, I will be buying that coal at Home Depot. Sorry, cavers, I am joining the Muslim community on this one and boycotting you for your spineless decision.

But, having said all that, I hope all of you, whatever your religion of choice, stop to think about what the various holidays this time of year truly meaning. The miracle of faith over bullying celebrated at Chanukah (not the miracle that the oil lasted 8 days, which is secondary); the miracle of the birth of one of the most remarkable individuals, Jesus, in the history of man. Whatever your religion, his significance is undeniable. And for the Principals of Kwanza, which we would all be well served to honor - Unity, Self-Determination, Collective Work and Responsibility, Cooperative Economics, Purpose, Creativity and Faith

So instead of worrying about how we say it this holiday season, let's worry about how we honor this time of year.

Be well. -Giss-

Swamp redux- Thanks to Frank Cotolo, who in commenting on last week's blog, pointed out (as I knew, but left out) the fact that The Meadowlands is known as The Swamp, having been built on New Jersey marshlands. So, if Jeff Gural is reading, it seems obvious we need to add that venue to next year's American Racing Herps Alive Tour.

No comments: